L1 Coding – Python: (Age 9 to 13): 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM
This is an introductory and comprehensive course on Computer Programming. This course is focused on Computer Programming which includes both theory and learning via projects. This starts off with programming concepts and proceed as a regular python course. Python is a very powerful, industry strength programming language that is an extremely valuable skill to have. The objective is to learn just one language deeply which will enable the students to learn any programming language by themselves in future (Java, C, C++ or even the ones not invented yet!). This course acts as a foundation (mandatory) course for all higher level, Level 2 & Level 3 courses. So, we focus solely on the programming language of Python.
The course is offered In-Person at our center OR online. Either of them are led by instructor with small classes sizes (12 in case of in person and 8 in case of online). As for curriculum, BC ADST curriculum is covered and goes beyond. BC ADST curriculum can be found here.
- Module 1: Introduction to Python: This module introduces the text-based programming language of Python. The module covers Python IDEs, syntax, data structures, formatting & error handling. Modifying programs in python.
- Module 2: Complex functions and programming technics. Review of ‘big ideas’ and computational thinking approach. Simple projects that practice these concepts and team projects. Students create algorithms, flowcharts & documentation and peer review these artifacts.
- Module 3: Introduction to testing, debugging methodology. Do’s and Don’ts in testing and debugging. Students are introduced to the idea of working as a team to achieve larger coding projects, modularizing, defining roles and responsibilities, interfaces etc.
- Module 4: Projects involving Python. Concepts like object-oriented programming in Python. Classes and Inheritance.
- Module 5: Review of Python standard libraries. Projects involving the use of these.
- Module 6: Advanced Concepts in Python: Artificial Intelligence routines in Python, Micro Python for Internet of Things (IoT) programming etc.
All our Level 0 and Level 1 courses are available in-person at various schools and community centers, our center at Cloverdale and online.
- Pre-Requisites for Level 0 classes: Kids should be able to take instruction and be able to read basic English words and sentences before attending the class. No other pre-requisites.
- There will be non-screen (i.e.; no laptops/tabs etc. to rest their eyes) breaks in during the program and students play games like Jenga & Uno to manage long stay. Please pack some extra snacks if they are staying from school dismissal to 4:45 pm.
- Parents can see lot of pictures and videos of student’s classes in our facebook group (invitation only for parents) to see progression and so parents can ask better questions to their kids.
What is new in 2023-2024?
1. We are moving to a semester system to make our programs more affordable.
- Term 1: Oct 2023 to Dec 2023
- Term 2: Jan 2024 to Mar 2024
- Term 3: Apr 2024 to Jun 2024
2. Payment/Cancellation/Refund policy:
- TWO PAYMENT OPTIONS: PER TERM OR MONTHLY.
- PER TERM: Total three (3) payments plus registration fee. First term is payed along with registration. Jan 1st 2024 and April 1st 2024 for 2nd and 3rd terms respectively. ie; 1 payment for each of the three terms. To cancel for any reason before the next term, there is a two-week notice required. (Ex: email us at email@example.com by March 15,2024 to cancel by end of March 2024).
- MONTHLY : Total three (9) payments. (8 payments + Initial registration as first month).
- To cancel for any reason, there is a two-week notice required. (Ex: email us at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15,2024 to cancel by end of March 2024).
- All months have the same fee, irrespective of the number of classes. We understand months like December and March will have only 2 or 3 classes due to school closures. We provide a half week camp( Winter camp/Spring Camp) at our Centre during this time to make up. More details will be shared later. No other refund, alternate arrangements or reduced fee will be provided.
- For schools in tentative status (waiting for final approval from school & school board): Only $10 registration fee at time of registration. Once confirmed, automatic renewal on Oct 1st 2023 till June 1st 2024 (9 payments).
- All students receive a course completion certificate at the end of the course
3. From October 2023 onward, Cloverdale Robotics prioritize Digital Arts tools for this semester. We do not teach how to draw, art theory, but more so introduce students to tools, and help them with creation techniques, so they are more self-sufficient and can create digital arts on their own.
4. We provide progress reports to parents for each term. Parents can also view pictures and videos of classes, videos of activity done by students in our closed Facebook group.
5. We maintain a student to teacher ratio of 12:1 so all kids can get attention. Teacher Biographies are in our team section.
6. Twenty (20) spots available. First come first served. Registration is open. Reserve your spots early.
7. All students receive a course completion certificate at the end of the course.
8. Status: Approved (Classes are confirmed)
For more specific questions, please check our FAQ section.
Term 1: Oct 2023 to Dec 2023 (Current Registration) : Class Days
12 Oct 2023
19 Oct 2023
26 Oct 2023
2 Nov 2023
9 Nov 2023
16 Nov 2023
23 Nov 2023
30 Nov 2023
7 Dec 2023
14 Dec 2023
21 Dec 2023
Term 2: Jan 2024 to Mar 2024 : Class Days
11 Jan 2024
18 Jan 2024
25 Jan 2024
1 Feb 2024
8 Feb 2024
15 Feb 2024
22 Feb 2024
29 Feb 2024
7 Mar 2024
14 Mar 2024
Term 3: Apr 2024 to Jun 2024 : Class Days
4 Apr 2024
11 Apr 2024
18 Apr 2024
25 Apr 2024
9 May 2024
16 May 2024
23 May 2024
30 May 2024
6 June 2024
13 June 2024